Developing the stage director and choreographer are prime goals of the Festival. Many workshops are open only to SDC fellows, and therefore students are encouraged to apply to this selective program.
To be eligible for the SDC Student Directing Fellowship students must be nominated by a faculty member from the student’s institution. Nominated students must have demonstrated excellence in direction. The institution must have entered either an associate or participating production for the regional festival during the year in which the nomination occurs. The participant must be a bona fide student at the time of the regional festival.
Each director will present a short scene from the list provided on the national website. The scene will include bona fide student actors and must be rehearsed at the home institution and presented at festival in the preliminary round.
Preliminary Round: a closed round. All of the candidates (directors only) are required to attend all of the first round presentations. Teachers/mentors who are the nominators-of-record for the student director are encouraged but not required to attend. Other than for the scene in which they are performing, actors are not allowed in the room. After the presentation the respondent(s) will react to the work in front of the closed gathering of directors and teachers/mentors.
Interview Round: Directors who are chosen for the final round will attend closed individual interviews with the respondents. At this time, the director’s book, written statements and approach will be discussed. No teachers/mentors or actors are allowed to participate in this phase of the event.
Final Round: Presentation of scene in a round open to the public. The final round will occur at least two days following the preliminary round to allow the director and actors to work on the scene based on feedback from the preliminary round. Teachers/mentors may advise the student directors during these rehearsals. A response session will follow the final round, and will include the scene directors, and may include teacher/mentors, actors and audience.
For additional information on the Eligibility and the Event, please visit the KCACTF National website.
The following application material must be submitted in pdf form:
- Faculty Letter of Nomination and Recommendation which speaks to the student’s:
- Ability as a Director;
- Organizational abilities;
- Imagination and artistic vision;
- Communication skills;
- Ability to collaborate with others.
- Resume that focuses on your experience and training as a director.
- Statement of Interest by the student, addressing the reasons for his / her interest in the SDC Fellowship Program and what he / she hopes to achieve and learn through involvement in the process; this must also include a statement of your intent to attend the entire Festival and participate fully in all aspects of the SDC / KCACTF program.
- Application deadline: December 1st, 2018. Late entries will not be accepted.
- Full application packets should be submitted here.
Students admitted to the SDC Fellowship must follow the Submission Guidelines.
Questions or concerns: Please email Kathleen Sills (Directing Chair) at: email@example.com